Words are Never Enough

I really do enjoy the English language. In fact, I enjoy words in general beyond the English language. I really love hearing someone speak when it's clear they have mastered the art of language usage the way a concert pianist has mastered the annoyingly tricky (yet very impressive) variations of Mozart's Twinkle Twinkle Little Star..."Ah! Vous Dirai-Je Maman" for those of you who have attempted to learn it yourself.

Twinkle Twinkle.. it's one of the easiest simplest little tunes to sing. It's one of the first songs I taught to my first son (who by the way has a beautiful singing voice) and one of the fun little songs that have come back into my mornings now that I have a new baby again. How could such a sweet and lovely song become so difficult to master variations of on the piano? The notes aren't really that difficult. Really, for me the hard part was the flow, speed and accuracy needed to have something simple transform into something awesome. Have you heard the last variation?If not, you should give it a listen. I promise it's a version of that old folk song that will leave you with a new appreciation for polish and practice.

The link in blue font above will take you to a YouTube video of a 13 year old kid doing a great job of the entire thing. To see the last variation you'll just have to fast forward...OR just take 6:00 minutes and listen to the entire thing.

Once upon a time I tackled all 12 variations...and never quite got to the awesome transformation that I was hoping for. It was impressive if you didn't know anything about piano, but pretty elementary and simple to anyone that had truly mastered it.

Words are like that sometimes aren't they?

So simple to string them together, so difficult to really get the point across in an awe inspiring, transformational way.

I find that I'm often at a point in my writing that mirrors my attempts to master those 12 darn Twinkle Variations.

Occasionally I submit blog posts to be published on different sites. It's pretty thrilling to see my creations out there in the world for people to read. It is also pretty risky. People feel very free to give bluntly open feedback when they don't know the author in person. Sometimes it's helpful to read what other people honestly think. Sometimes I wish I could say, "But what I meant was.." or, "I didn't feel the need to explain that entire back story.." Blah blah blah...

Sometimes words just aren't enough.

My past post here was about becoming a mother again. As I review my post in my head I can hear possible critical feedback from readers on a more public site. In the shower last night I thought about it and I'm already bracing myself.

I probably should have been more specific. I should have thought things through a little better.

My post was about the joy I've found in having a new baby. It was meant to explain how blessed I feel to really KNOW and understand that he wouldn't be little forever. It was not meant to express a belief that parenting my 14 year old is over!

Parenting is never over. The way I parent however has evolved over time. My 14 year old reaps the benefits of the new perspective I've gained over his 14 years. I've grown with him. My new son however has the benefit my my 14 years of previous parenting experience. Parenting the second son is different than parenting the first because there are a lot of things that I understand now that I couldn't before.

So, when I post in my private little blog and my dear friends read, I thank them for their patience. When I put my words out into the air for a broader audience I realize that I really need to go back and practice editing my thoughts a bit better.

Words are so beautiful. Someday I hope to string them together as flawlessly as the concert pianist does those Twinkle Variations.

Practice, practice, practice....

Comments

Popular Posts