Living Single and Getting Ahead

I won't lie. Money issues occupy a lot of my thought time. It's not that I don't have enough or have to stress about paying bills. That isn't it at all. What has me preoccupied lately is how to really get ahead when I have been pulling in such a very modest salary for the entirety of my professional life.

The field of education, while noble, has not been very lucrative for me. I am embarrassed to say that I have been working at the same institution for the last 10 years, have earned a masters degree during that time, and yet continue to make about the same as a first year elementary teacher in most school districts in the Kansas City area. It's frustrating to say the least.

Why do I stay? Well, I have stayed because of the community. Small towns so rich in diversity in the middle of nowhere USA are pretty hard to come by. I love that I can meet people from all over the world and I still think it's really amazing to share space in such close proximity to the Amish. It is a unique place.

Reason number two. I love the people I work with. I don't know of anyone at this particular institution that doesn't believe with their whole hearts that their job is to make a positive change in the world. Even on my most pessimistic day, I am reminded of service and humility and the value of working for "something greater." The people I work with inspire me to be better and to do great things.

Reason number three. Over the past 10 years I have been given leadership and growth opportunities that were worth far more than what would have come in my paycheck. When I leave to pursue Higher Education in a different capacity, I will have been well prepared and have a lot to offer.

Reason number four. Time to travel. I have been very lucky to have a job where I have never had to work through the summers. My family lives in Canada so this has allowed me the opportunity to live in two places. Ten months out of the year I am here in the lovely state of Iowa. The rest of the time I get to chill out with my family, travel and enjoy being a full time mom.

Now how have I made up the difference? I'm still working on this one. My work day is not 8:00- 5:00. On some nights I'm not done until 10:30pm. I teach yoga and dance classes 3 days a week at a studio I have opened at the request of the community. I spend one or two weekends a month doing Alphabet Photography shows, selling art and bragging about my baby sister Jennifer who happens to be the artist. I now own enough real estate to house 7 university students.

I drive a 2001 L series Saturn. I bought the building the studio is in, and live above it in a little 2 bedroom apartment. I just borrowed clothes from a girlfriend so I could look pretty on a cruise I'm about to go on. I limit myself to 2 new pairs of jeans per year, and after bills, investments and savings, I live on about $250.00 per month.

Being a single person with modest earning capacity requires creativity, dedication and is often frustrating. Like many people out there, I have never been in the position to depend on another person to contribute much financially. I am trying to come to peace with the idea that if I am not prepared to to take a job that requires a 12 month commitment, I'm just going to have to work harder during the 10 months that I am "on."

Now, with the pain of living frugally also comes great rewards...and if I can manage them, so can you! There is no reason not to enjoy the life we have right? I have had the opportunity to travel to France, England, Spain, Mexico and various parts of the US including Alaska. I am in the process of planning for a 7 day cruise with my favorite adult companion where I will have the opportunity to visit Central America and live one week with the reckless abandon that I imagine rich people must have all the time.

Work hard. Play hard. For now, it's just the way I live. It is possible to get ahead on $32,000 per year, but it's not easy. Life isn't all about the dollars I have earned. I know that. I have been lucky enough to have a beautiful life with many opportunities.

I look forward to days in the future when I live in a house with a bathtub. I can't wait until I can live without caring if the bottoms of my jeans start to fray...but... for now I'm prepared to accept that sometimes there are trade offs. I have a life that reflects what I value.

My sister once said something funny that I will always remember, "Life is too short not to buy the good pickles." I agree.

I am SO looking forward to that cruise.

Comments

Popular Posts