Holy First Chakra Batman

I am a fairly grounded person. This has been a trait that has served me well throughout my life and provided me with a sense of "home" even during some pretty lonely times. Part of never feeling alone, even when it would seem this is the case has to do with my chosen spiritual path and the relationship that I have been blessed to have with my creator.

Without sharing my denomination, let me say that it has held a special place in my heart, my head, and has influenced what sort of teacher, mother, friend, and wife I have become. Let me also say that although I was born to it, I also chose it. This particular faith has gone through tremendous transformation during the years of my life and I am pleased to say that I am associated with a group of loving inclusive people that are not afraid to seriously examine doctrine and redefine belief.

I remember my baptism. I remember how nervous I was and that was the first time I had ever heard the term, "Butterflies in the stomach." It was a defining moment in my life. My grandfather held out his hand as I walked into the water to meet him. I remember what his shoes looked like and that there were wet footprints on the basement of the church floor left by him. I remember my mother was there to wrap me in a towel and take me to change for my confirmation. My uncle spoke and he and my grandfather confirmed me into the church. I remember what a joyous day that was for my community.

Although I remain involved in my faith group they have been a community that have allowed me to seek out my own path. I have come and gone as I pleased. I went almost a decade without attending regularly but was happily welcomed back when I returned. I have looked into a variety of spiritual traditions including some pagan ones with the blessing of my spiritual community. They are certainly a unique group. I don't know many Christians that would learn about Reiki and energetic healing at a congregational leaders workshop.

While diversity like this can breed anger and frustration, by and large it has been a positive experience for one like me that enjoys study, learning, and the reformulation of ideas.

This past week I got a casual e-mail informing me that my son was pledging membership in a different faith. I was stunned.

I have nothing against the faith group he was learning with. I know many wonderful people of this faith and don't know enough about their theology to have an opinion either way.

I am also quite aware of the history of my own church and understand how many from different denominations might think we are a little on the crazy side.

I hesitated before I responded. I really had to take a moment to discern if I was feeling uncomfortable because it was a different faith group or what it was that seemed to stab me in the chest. I've always imagined myself to be very open to different ways to seeing things but the truth is that although I had explored traditions outside of Christianity I really didn't consider exploring any other Christian denomination. I felt like I kind of had that one covered...and yes...I know enough about the intricacies of theology to understand how short sighted and naive this was. I really didn't know much about this faith at all. They were nice people...is that enough?

My faith tradition, like my family, is a very tribal issue. For those of you that understand the chakras, this is the first chakra. Being grounded in a tribe is what I have attributed much of my psychological and emotional survival skills to. Was I okay with my own flesh and blood breaking away from the tribe? I should be. That's certainly what I believe to be true cognitively. This was a big challenge to think through however. I'm so grateful though for the opportunity to explore my response.

What was it that bothered me? Was it the theology of the new faith? No. At that moment I still didn't know what the theology was, in fact, I was silly enough to think that it might not even be all that different! (yes I know...shortsighted) Really what bothered me was the casual way it was being considered. To me, matters of faith and choices of church are important life commitments. I was not convinced that this had been effectively conveyed to the young seeker in question.

He had already been baptized into the same faith I had been. He called his great grandfather to ask for this himself. He went through a year of classes to prepare him for this important event. Was his experience not as meaningful to him as mine had been for me? Maybe not! I know at least one of my own sisters feels differently about her baptism than I did about mine. For me it was a defining moment that I remember vividly. For her it was just a ritual she participated in because she had come to the right age.

Was I not as open as I thought I was?

After a bit of self reflection and some internet research about this faith I have concluded a couple different things. I am certainly supportive of a variety of spiritual paths. I also have great respect for those that enter into a faith tradition with intentional preparation and prayer. If my son knew the doctrines of this church and felt they were for him I would certainly want to be there to celebrate with him. The sacrament of confirmation is a community affair meant to be celebrated socially. Regardless of what I believe to be truth I would be willing to celebrate exploration with my son.

If he were to join this faith we would have some very interesting theological conversations.

Is this a first chakra tribal issue? It certainly is. More important to me than what he chooses however is how he chooses. Aligning ourselves with a faith group is not like joining the local bowling league. My issue wasn't his potential choice, it was with the process that seemed to be unfolding. He had been enrolled in confirmation classes without understanding that this meant church membership. He just wanted to make some new friends and learn about God.

He and I have both learned something important from this experience. I have learned that I could support my son in his faith choices and truly believe that each has his/her own path. I have also learned that I have not done a very good job exploring Christianity outside of my own faith group. My son has learned to ask questions and do some study on his own before pledging allegiance to any group. There was more for him to discover about this faith than what he was learning in bible school.

Can we appreciate fellowship with a wide variety of Christians despite their particular doctrines? Yes certainly. Can we extend our reach of fellowship and community outside the Christian tradition altogether? Yes absolutely. The lessons of Christ are far reaching and very applicable in our relationships with others regardless of faith background and tradition.

Born into it doesn't mean that we can't choose something different later right? To me, it's the process we engage in that matters most. I'm happy with my faith choices. I would like my son to seriously consider what is right for him before he chooses..but I am proud of him for doing the exploration. Many of us are born one way and never question it.

Questions are good. We just need to remember to ask them.

Comments

Popular Posts